Saturday, March 26, 2011

Soup Day, part 2

As promised, here is the recipe for the Pioneer Woman Sherried Tomato soup, with a modification.

1 medium white or yellow onion, chopped
6 tablespoons butter
Two 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes
One 46 oz bottle or can of tomato juice (I used vegetable juice)
3 to 6 tablespoons sugar
1 or 2 tablespoons chicken base, or 3 chicken bouillon cubes
Freshly ground black pepper
1 cup sherry (optional, but it really adds a nice flavor)
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
1/4 cup chopped basil

Melt the butter in a large pot.  Add the onion, and sautee until translucent.

Add the diced tomatoes, then the tomato juice.  Stir to combine, then stir in the sugar and bouillon.  (I used 3 tablespoons of sugar, and bouillon granules.)

This is where I changed the recipe slightly.  The first time I made this soup, I made it exactly as written, and it was good, but I didn't like the feel of so many chunks.  I wanted a really smooth soup, so I used my immersion blender to puree it.  You could do the same thing with a regular blender or food processor, working in batches, and returning it to the pot.
Add the black pepper to taste, and stir to combine.  Heat almost to boiling, then turn off the heat.  Now to add all of the flavor...the sherry!



Next, add the cream and the chopped herbs.


Stir to combine, and enjoy.  Both times that I've made this, I've frozen it in individual portion sizes, and it reheats beautifully.  Just the thing to have on hand for rainy, cold days.  Try this soup, you won't be sorry!



No comments:

Post a Comment