Wednesday, April 7, 2010

40 Squares, part 4

Here are my most recent completed squares.  I last posted an update on April 1st, and I did take the 3rd and 4th off from stitching, so these are from the 2nd, 5th, 6th, and 7th.  And yes, I have done other things with my life besides!

I'm going to list them slightly out of order, but will explain why at the end, when I show you the progress shot.  I have 24 squares done so far, so I'm over halfway done!  Not bad for 11 days of stitching.  I still hope to fit in another 1 or 2 before bed tonight.

Here is square 14:

This commemorates our first date, which happened, quite accidentally, to be on Valentine's Day.  It's a funny story, and I'd tell it, but my husband has started reading this blog! (I was getting bored with plain ol' satin stitch, but haven't found a good substitute for large filled areas.  I was playing around, and came up with this woven effect.  It's not perfectly rendered, but overall, I like it.  And my blanket stitch border is better left unmentioned, but it is at least a change of pace!)

Square 15:

Our wedding date....

Square 16:
...which took place overlooking the golf course at Redhill Country Club.  (I was so nervous stitching the grass!  I used the Turkey Work stitch, and 5 strands of floss, which I haven't tried in YEARS.  But, I'm quite happy with how it came out.)

Square 20:

Marking our honeymoon, which the older girls went on with us.  I'm not crazy with how the ears came out, but I am really pleased with the lettering.

Square 21:

A pink and white baby carriage, in honor of each of my 5 pregnancies, which gave me 6 daughters.  This carriage is slightly larger than it should be, but at various times, I've pushed umbrella strollers, single strollers, a double stroller, and even a triple stroller for a while.  This represents each of them.  (Again, slight variation on satin stitch: overlaid with a lattice type stitching.)

Square 17:

This is Brianna, my oldest girl.  She likes to get dressed up to go out.  Notice her earrings, bracelet, necklace, and sparkly shoes....the girl likes her "bling".

Square 22:

This is Brittany, my second daughter.  She's in her favorite outfit:  jeans with ripped knees, a red tank top, red and white tennis shoes, and her ever present belt.  Her eyes are hazel, and I've given her one of my favorite hairstyles, which is when she leaves it curly and wears a headband.  Look closely:  do you see the cell phone?

Square 18:
Abigail (Abby), one of my twins.  Her favorite color is purple, and she is wearing her favorite hairstyle, which is a "bunny town".  I don't know why it is called that, it is just her word for that messy, ponytail/bun thing that is so easy to do.  Her hands are raised, because frequently, when she is asked a question, her first response is, "I don't know."

Square 23:
Meet Emma, the other twin, aka "the pink baby".  Pink is her favorite color, and she likes "beautiful hair" (she told me that's how she wanted it today, while she watched me stitch!), which usually means an "Alice" (think Disney's Alice in Wonderland...headband.  Yeah, took me a while to get the connection too.)  Her hands are in front of her, just waiting to be able to help with something.

Square 19:
This is Katie.  Her favorite color is blue, her favorite hairstyle is braids, and since she is going to marry Goofy, she's quite happy to be next to the Disneyland square.  Her hand is raised because one of her most common phrases is "Pick me!  Oh, pick me!", even when she doesn't have a clue what she is volunteering for!

Square 24:
And, finally, Madison.  Her sisters told me that her favorite color is orange, and they told me that since she is one, she is walking now.  She tried, but after a few toddles, she sat down.  Now, she's raising her hands in the air to be picked up.  Her eyes are blue, and her hair is the only style it will go in right now:  the classic sprig-on-the-top-of-the-head, ala Pebbles Flintstone.

Why did I show them to you all out of order?  When I sketched my squares, I put the girls' squares right in the middle of the fabric, and arranged everything else around them, as my world revolves around them.  Here is the progress shot, so you can see how they all fit together:

I am so enjoying this project!  I never thought I'd like it as much as I am.  Well, time to get back to the rest of the family.  Talk to you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment